... Winter Storm Watch in effect from late Wednesday night through
The National Weather Service in Hastings has issued a Winter
Storm Watch... which is in effect from late Wednesday night
through Thursday evening.
* Impact... icy roads will make travel dangerous on Thanksgiving.
* Precipitation type/hazard... the primary precipitation type and
hazard will be freezing rain. Freezing rain may eventually mix
with and change over to sleet and snow... but the greatest travel
impacts will come from the freezing rain.
* Precipitation accumulation... ice accumulations of 0.20 to 0.30
inches are likely across the advisory area. Sleet and snow
accumulations of up to around 1 inch will also be possible.
* Timing... rain will begin to change over to freezing rain
Thanksgiving morning. Freezing rain will eventually turn over to
sleet and maybe a little snow by the late afternoon or evening
on Thanksgiving day. Precipitation will taper off Thursday
* Uncertainty... there is still some question with regard to the
timing of precipitation type changes and amounts of the varying
* Temperatures... falling through the 20s during the day on
* Winds... northerly 15 to 20 mph... gusting 25 to 30 mph.
* Wind chill... falling into the single digits by early Thursday
A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.
Severe Weather Get Mobile & Email Alerts
Jewell Severe Watches & Warnings NOAA Weather Radio
Winter Storm Watch
Statement as of 3:53 PM CST on November 24, 2015